Epiphenomenology

Epiphenomenon- An incidental product of some process, that has no effects of its own. Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy. The term most aptly refers to consciousness i.e. consciousness is a useless byproduct of our developed brains. This blog is an epiphenomenon; it is the incidental product of my experiences and it is not meant to produce any effect.

Name:
Location: California, United States

Any misspellings in this blog are intentional.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Nose-Awareness

In the past few months I have become very aware of my nose. I don’t mean self-conscious, because I rather like my nose. I mean I am suddenly super-aware of its existence. I can feel my nose just being there on my face and I just have to touch it. This feeling comes and goes, but my curiosity about it is ceaseless. I doubt I am the only one to whom this happens. It's hard to tell because I have a hard time explaining this feeling. I wonder if this is a common occurrence for which there is no word because no one has thought to name it and therefore the feeling is ignored because, without a name it is uncategorized and therefore doesn’t exist easily in thought. I should give it a name to make it more accessible, I think Hypervigiliarhinopathy sounds good. Totally more accessible, right? Of course, that's the scientific name, colloquially it would probably be shortened to HVR. The “-pathy” part might be a bit strong because I wouldn’t say it's a suffering; it’s more of an annoyance, but I don't know any fancy suffixes for that. I would start a campaign to raise awareness of Hypervigiliarhinopathy, but I think that would just make it worse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home