Kant, Buddha and a Twenty on the Ground
I had two ethically interesting things happen to me tonight, one right after the other. I was walking out of the grocery store past a bus stop where two cops were standing just outside of their car. I don’t know why they were there, nothing seemed to be going on. Anyway, as I’m walking I look down and I see a twenty dollar bill at my feet. At about the same time another guy, about my age, also notices the bill. We looked up at each other, then at the cop right next to us, then back to the money on the ground. There was a moment of silent deliberation between us, then the cop said “Guys, it’s a twenty somebody pick it up.” The guy and I looked at each other again and the guy gestured for me to take it. Knowing it’s rude to accept a kind gesture, I picked up the money, smiled a thank you and walked away. Wow, a twenty for nothing, that’s weird. I wondered as I walked the bus stop across the street if that was some experimental setup by social psychologists or the like. Of course, it wasn’t, but being a student and living in San Francisco you must have a paranoia or conspiracy theory of some sort.
So I’m walking away contemplating the situation; if the cops hadn’t been there would there have been so much deliberation about taking the money? If the guy hadn’t been there would I have taken the money or maybe given it to the cop (why would I do that though)? Would the guy have taken the money if the cops weren’t there? I know what I would have done if neither the cop nor the guy were there. Just a few weeks ago I was in Barcelona walking on a pier around the same time of night, around ten or so, there were other people around but they were all at least 50 feet away when I found twenty Euros on the ground. I stopped, looked at the bill, looked up and around, picked up the bill, looked around again, then hesitantly walked off. I felt bad, that money wasn’t mine, I didn’t deserve it and surely who ever lost it would be upset. Then I thought, if I had just left it there someone else would take it, most likely not its rightful owner, so why shouldn’t I be the someone else? I still felt bad and decided I would do something good with it. Of course, after a drink or two I forgot about doing something good with it and bought myself more drinks.
So, back to tonight, I remembered the twenty Euros and my plan to do something good with it which didn’t happen. I decided this was a second chance, I wouldn’t feel bad this time. I just wouldn’t plan on doing something good with it, then when I blow it on candy and booze I wouldn’t feel bad. Just as I came up with this brilliant plan of self-indulgence, a homeless-looking man approached me asking for change. I reacted the way I usually do to this kind of request, I looked away then mumbled “No, sorry.” Then instead of hurrying away like I normally would, I stopped and looked at his face, I held out the twenty I still had in my hand and told him “I just found it on the street. You take it.” I refrained from saying anything patronizing like “You need this more than I do.” He said thank you, then looked at the bill and realized it was a twenty he looked back at me as if I was crazy, then thanked me profusely, which embarrassed me a little. He went in to the corner store at the bus stop and came out with some food and thanked me again. I told him, “Look, I just found it on the street, it’s no more mine than it is yours.” We waited for the bus and he kept looking at me a smiling while keeping his distance, because, I think, he didn’t want to make me uncomfortable, which was nice of him.
I felt really good but really bad at the same time. I’ve thought way too much about ethics, and now I feel bad for feeling good about doing good. I’ve always had this feeling that doing good things shouldn't come from a desire to feel good. These feelings were only refined and intensified by Kantian and certain Asian philosophies. Not an hour before this situation, I was sitting in my Asian Philosophy summer class talking about the Buddhist philosophy of detached compassion. The idea that true compassion comes from a still mind, one that doesn’t dwell on good deeds done, rather does good deeds naturally, like breathing, without judgment of the situation, deliberation, or selfish motive. I couldn’t stop thinking about the homeless man and how good I felt about giving him that money, then how bad I felt about feeling good for such an obviously correct act. I felt good and bad, I tried to still my mind, I tried to focus on the present. I was sitting on the bus not doing anything good or bad, that was my present, that was what I should have been interested in, I couldn't focus, still can’t, obviously.
So this is my conclusion: Doing one good deed makes doing the next good deed easier, the more good deeds I do the less I will be affected by them, thus making me a better person. Feeling good about that deed is natural, I recognize that feeling, analyze it and let it go. Small things can be the most profound learning experiences. From this I learned I must do more good deeds and be patient with my progress to become a truly moral person.
So I’m walking away contemplating the situation; if the cops hadn’t been there would there have been so much deliberation about taking the money? If the guy hadn’t been there would I have taken the money or maybe given it to the cop (why would I do that though)? Would the guy have taken the money if the cops weren’t there? I know what I would have done if neither the cop nor the guy were there. Just a few weeks ago I was in Barcelona walking on a pier around the same time of night, around ten or so, there were other people around but they were all at least 50 feet away when I found twenty Euros on the ground. I stopped, looked at the bill, looked up and around, picked up the bill, looked around again, then hesitantly walked off. I felt bad, that money wasn’t mine, I didn’t deserve it and surely who ever lost it would be upset. Then I thought, if I had just left it there someone else would take it, most likely not its rightful owner, so why shouldn’t I be the someone else? I still felt bad and decided I would do something good with it. Of course, after a drink or two I forgot about doing something good with it and bought myself more drinks.
So, back to tonight, I remembered the twenty Euros and my plan to do something good with it which didn’t happen. I decided this was a second chance, I wouldn’t feel bad this time. I just wouldn’t plan on doing something good with it, then when I blow it on candy and booze I wouldn’t feel bad. Just as I came up with this brilliant plan of self-indulgence, a homeless-looking man approached me asking for change. I reacted the way I usually do to this kind of request, I looked away then mumbled “No, sorry.” Then instead of hurrying away like I normally would, I stopped and looked at his face, I held out the twenty I still had in my hand and told him “I just found it on the street. You take it.” I refrained from saying anything patronizing like “You need this more than I do.” He said thank you, then looked at the bill and realized it was a twenty he looked back at me as if I was crazy, then thanked me profusely, which embarrassed me a little. He went in to the corner store at the bus stop and came out with some food and thanked me again. I told him, “Look, I just found it on the street, it’s no more mine than it is yours.” We waited for the bus and he kept looking at me a smiling while keeping his distance, because, I think, he didn’t want to make me uncomfortable, which was nice of him.
I felt really good but really bad at the same time. I’ve thought way too much about ethics, and now I feel bad for feeling good about doing good. I’ve always had this feeling that doing good things shouldn't come from a desire to feel good. These feelings were only refined and intensified by Kantian and certain Asian philosophies. Not an hour before this situation, I was sitting in my Asian Philosophy summer class talking about the Buddhist philosophy of detached compassion. The idea that true compassion comes from a still mind, one that doesn’t dwell on good deeds done, rather does good deeds naturally, like breathing, without judgment of the situation, deliberation, or selfish motive. I couldn’t stop thinking about the homeless man and how good I felt about giving him that money, then how bad I felt about feeling good for such an obviously correct act. I felt good and bad, I tried to still my mind, I tried to focus on the present. I was sitting on the bus not doing anything good or bad, that was my present, that was what I should have been interested in, I couldn't focus, still can’t, obviously.
So this is my conclusion: Doing one good deed makes doing the next good deed easier, the more good deeds I do the less I will be affected by them, thus making me a better person. Feeling good about that deed is natural, I recognize that feeling, analyze it and let it go. Small things can be the most profound learning experiences. From this I learned I must do more good deeds and be patient with my progress to become a truly moral person.

3 Comments:
Ok, so I have not had a philosophy class in a long time, and I didn’t pay that much attention when I was in class because I was too busy cursing the great thinkers of human existence – insisting that I knew more than them because “damint I’m more evolved!” and they were just a bunch of patriarchal sexist dick-weeds anyway!
However, my personal stigma aside I did appreciate the method of thought that they provided. So thus, I am going to do my best to put my two cents into this quandary using my most primitive understanding of Kant.
The Twenty:
I personally am a big believer in Karma. What goes around comes around. You let someone merge in front of you on the freeway and the next day someone will kindly hold the elevator for you. At least that is my incentive for doing good. Being that I am an agnostic when it comes to spirituality I still try to think that there is something out there that is putting each ying and yang together. So what I am getting at is, that twenty WAS yours.
I totally understand your hesitance not to immediately pick up the bill in front of the cops. After all we have been taught by culture since we were young that you turn in lost items into the proper authority. But then again we are not talking about a brief case full of foreign currency and cocaine. So why not pick up the twenty right away? Because of fear. I’m positive that if the cops and “Man A” were not there you would have put the twenty in your pocket and gone about your business as usual (just as you did in Europe). However this time was different, because someone witnessed you take what was rightfully not yours you had a sense a guilt. Personally I always feel like a bandit when I find money. I pick it up and hide it in my hand as quickly as possible and get the fuck out of there before the jig is up. It’s human nature and society that gives us the stupid fucking stigma to be so afraid. Why cant we just say “hey it’s about time I got something back from the cosmos” and treat yourself to an ice-cold draft beer and a basket of fries? Because we are told that we don’t deserve it because there is always someone that deserves it more. Well shit, human existence is on a lottery system and they’ll get their twenty-one day – but today it’s MINE. I am reminded of an episode of Dead Like Me when George finds a twenty, gets free breakfast and just has an overall good day. She opens the episode with “you just feel something in the air, like today is just for you, today is your day.” We learn at the end of the episode that this is the day that George’s grave is finally sealed with her headstone (making her death both real and final). So, it was George’s day, she had a good day to compensate for that shitty day that snuffed her life with a toilet seat. Although at the end of the episode she does end up giving up the twenty that she found to the young homeless animal reaper (Charlie) because obviously “he need’s it more.” Thus making a full circle in the cosmic lottery system. Similar to your situation “Man A” let you have the twenty, you let homeless man have the twenty – so maybe it was all planned and the twenty wasn’t really yours. Maybe you were simply a messenger that was predestined to deliver the twenty to someone whose lottery number was actually the one up, and not yours.
Anyway on to the philosophers. Kant suggests that we act according to universal law. According to Kant, reason exists to provide us with a standard of morality (i.e. having a sense of duty). Well, I say fuck Kant. Personally I think that with that way of thinking he is messing with our free will (which I take very personally). I’m noting doing something because I am programmed to think a certain way or that I should do it because of universal law – I do it because I WANT to.
Ok, so we cant talk about Kant and not mention Hume. Hume says that passions (sentiment) are the primary actions for moral action. Making emotions the primary focus when making a moral decision. I tend to lean more towards this theory. It was your emotions (i.e. SCORE! Feeling) that lead you to pick up the bill not your cosmic duty. “Man A” almost certainly let you have the bill because he thought he would get the warm friendly feeling of making someone’s day. He got in his car thinking that he did the right thing, secretly and unconsciously hoping that by doing one good act would inspire another to come his way. Although since he let you take it and he didn’t actually give it to you, you were plagued with a certain sense of guilt (I'm assuming) for taking something that perhaps you didn’t feel that you deserved. SO, according to Hume you unconsciously sought out the homeless man to unload the burden, and to make yourself feel better. We do everything for our direct emotions. Please keep in mind that I am not undermining your actions (which were completely honorable and sweet) I am simply saying that there is no reason for you to feel guilt for feeling so good after doing a good deed – after all that is why you did it in the first place (to feel good). Looking though Hume’s philosophy that is the nature of the beast and if we feel good and it does good then that is the way things are suppose to be.
Interrupted thought: Bringing Kant into it again, I guess you could argue that through Kant’s categorical imperative philosophy one could obtain the same output. After all if we are looking at this through the end justifying the means, then who gives a shit about the reasons you did it – just the fact that you did it – and that’s what matters.
I respect your quest to become a truly moral person, but I personally don’t believe it is possible. There has never been and never will be a truly selfless act. See I don’t see anything wrong with being affected by doing a good deed. I understand that you feel like it is more “moral” or “right” to be unaffected – but I think that it is the good feeling that keeps us doing it. Not only that, but it also is chicken soup for my soul knowing that I made a difference in someone else’s day.
And that’s all I have to say about that.
P.S. My roommate (and old buddy from college) just came in and said that I was an asshole. And that I am totally wrong about Kant and he is right and it is perfectly ok to “do unto others” - and that Hume is barbaric and we are not all animalistic primal selfish beasts. Also that I (Lacie) came into philosophy class every day stoned and slept through the lecture and that I only paid attention when the teacher was giving out Jolly Ranchers. I just thought it was important to throw that in.
this reminds me of the time steff and i were in a restaurant...and this guy comes up and asks us if we can help him out with a few bucks so he can buy a meal, i think he said he just got out of jail, but he was an honest hardworking guy.
we said no, we couldn't help him, so he continued down the line of patrons. i watched as he asked the woman behind us the same thing, only this time as he did it he buttoned his cuffs, took out and put on a NICE pair of eyeglasses, and took out and fastened a gold watch around his wrist. i was like, what the hell?
the woman bought this newly minted man dinner anyways. i couldn't help but think this was some kind of weird experiment!
-anders
Finding twenties on the ground? I obviously need to start following you around on a daily basis.
Post a Comment
<< Home